I’m often asked what is the right strategy for my business? Invest in digital or invest in people.
My response is simple, you’ve got to invest in both, but in a complimentary way.
In my experience, those businesses that are thriving in the rapidly evolving digital world blend the speed, ease of access, convenience & efficiency of digital services with the authenticity, experience, & expertise of talented empowered people. It’s about getting the mix & balance right.
If I think about how my children, who have grown up in an increasingly digitalised world, like to access products & services, they look for:
- Ease of Access
- The speed and convenience of digital services, particularly for straightforward administrative tasks,
- Supported by ease of access to talented people when they are looking for specific advice & guidance.
A selection of staff in some of my clients gave an interesting alternative perspective on the “dilemma”. Whilst some saw the advent of digital as a potential threat to their futures, the majority, saw it as an opportunity to:
- Strip out some of the inefficient, duplicated, & mundane processes they have historically had to do day in day out.
- Deliver a better, faster, & higher quality service to their clients
- Focus their skills on the areas where they can really add the most value to their customers
- Contribute positively to the culture that attracts high quality talent into the business.
As someone who is passionate about:
- Talent development
- Creating the culture to grow your people
- Building an exceptional customer experience
- Using Technology & Data as an intelligent Business enabler
it feels to me that those business that blend their digital & people strategies in a well thought through complimentary way are the most likely to:
- Grow their businesses faster & more profitability than the rest
- Create an environment that attracts in the best & most dynamic talent
- Stimulate a continuous improvement culture that uses technology & people expertise in the right proportions & in the most effective areas
- Deliver a dynamic & engaging customer experience
Author Derek Findlayson